Thursday, April 21, 2011

THE CIRCLE OF LIFE

You know they say the people in your circle are a reflection of who you are. I really don’t know who “they” is, but I can definitely understand what they’re saying.

In school I was always fascinated with behavioral science although television broadcasting was my passion. But studying people and their behaviors was always interesting. I’m writing this note as a result of thinking about the people I’ve had in my circle, people who I considered friends and what went wrong.

There are many factors affecting the way we behave and act towards other individuals such as culture, attitude, emotions, values, ethics, rapport and persuasion. In the last several years I’ve had a few “friends” who did things that weren’t consistent with my beliefs of what a “friend” is. Here goes the “why” questions: Why intentionally mislead someone? Why play with someone’s emotions? Why use manipulation as a way of getting things? Now there are many answers to these questions… but go back to the very beginning because at some point these folks felt this type of behavior is okay, it’s good, it’s normal. What happened in their life to lead them to believe this behavior is normal and acceptable?

I’ll admit… its fun listening to changes in pitch, annunciation and pauses at the wrong moments, to read faces and expressions and body language. I was never the resident skeptic, but dealing with people over the years has caused me to be one. I don’t like it, but I’m so used to being one now. I still give people the benefit of the doubt but with caution. I keep a tight circle with positive, forward thinkers… people who are creative, smart and passionate. Yes… I need like-minded people around me. I don’t care for hidden agendas… once those agendas were revealed, the relationship was done. I don’t think expecting honestly is too much to ask for… what do you think?

You’ve heard it… “treat others as you expect to be treated”. That’s exactly what I do and I would expect you to do the same. Back to the circle of friends, so what does your circle say about you? Ask yourself that question. Have your friends supported you, have they been there for you when in need, are they always there with a listening ear? Have you been there for them? Is it one sided? Having the right people around you can make all the difference. It took a little while for me to realize that but once I got it and made the necessary corrections it’s was like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

Just be careful with whom you let into your life. Everything that appears good isn’t good for you. Happiness can mean different things to different people but one thing for sure is… the happiest people have the strongest friendships. But that’s another article.

Take care everyone.

No comments: